Friday, September 14, 2007

A Silent Legacy

Heffran – A Silent Legacy

More than a friend, more than a father. Anyone can be a father, but only someone
pure can be a daddy. The natural progression is the coming of age. But sometimes its
covered with shame and built into rage. I always heard every word… just had to try
it my way first. As I pray in my darkness for always to set me free I’m a bound to
your silent legacy. I’ve dug for the answers until my fingers bleed. To satisfy the
hunger or satisfy the need. Memories will always reign true even as the light fades.
Remember what you taught me. Remembering what you sacrificed for me. A sacrifice
so true… so you.

You child… I’m your child… now I have a child…

There were times and things I didn’t want you to see about me. But as I am now the
future looks to gleam. Not happy with myself so I couldn’t put you through it as well.
Call it selfish call it a mercy wish. Certain holes are left open in the past for reasons
not to be explained. Had to find myself among all this wreckage. If I only knew
which direction. The hard way had to be the way, I finally found it one day. As I pray
in my darkness for always to set me free I’m a bound to your silent legacy.

You child… I’m your child… now I have a child…

Certain things will always come to question. Certain things will always come to laugh,
just never let it be the last. "What ifs" and "could be's" will ride free inside a smile in
you and me. For always the wind will blow, the rain will be wet and the light is full of
wonder. I am bound to your silent legacy. Trying to conceal, try to feel as your father
had to set you free. I am bound to your silent legacy.

You child… I’m your child… now I have a child…

I watch him grow. I see me; I know someday he will walk a familiar road. It’s my job
not to let him get cold. Pick him up if he falls. But it’s his decision where to turn when
his backs against the wall. With words of wisdom ringing through my ears. As I learn
the meaning of the golden years. Those questions have answers. Constant reminders
everywhere I turn. Lessons that were finally learned. Now it’s my turn to love, as I do
in every imaginable way. Today is the day.

You child… I’m your child… now I have a child…

Half the man I wish I could be… just to show him your legacy.

Thank you Dad, Love you, Forever and Always – Zachariah Kane

Based on a positive outlook of the song "Silent Legacy" by Melissa Ethridge.

No comments: